For people who have mobility challenges that make going to the bathroom more difficult, a raised toilet can be a practical solution. Products known as toilet platforms, toilet pedestals, toilet elevators and other similar names all perform the same function by raising the toilet from underneath its base. This raising of the toilet provides easier access for seniors and other individuals who have trouble bending.
One of the biggest advantages of a toilet pedestal is that it saves people from having to buy a new raised toilet that is ADA-compliant. These installations can be mounted easily and are adjustable and removable whenever needed. A toilet riser base installation also provides a more hygienic alternative to a raised toilet seat and is a cleaner option for the whole family. Elevated toilet seats and other installations that are less reliable may cause falls and other medical emergencies and do not provide the same level of stability as a toilet elevator. A toilet pedestal riser is also easier to clean and keep intact.
It is possible to find toilet rise platform models that are made specifically for home or RV use. Most products on the market are able to elevate toilets another 2.5 to 4 inches for easier access and are safer than other products that may increase fall risks. Many toilet platforms are white to match the porcelain color of most toilets, but products that come in different colors can be found as well. Dimensions vary in measurements, but people who have elongated toilets often find that grande-sized toilet base rise models work best. Some standard plumbing tools and silicon with a longer toilet water supply line may be required for installation, but many of the leading toilet elevator base of toilet models come with installation kits that include a few simple components.
Best Toilet Pedestals
The Toilevator has received many positive reviews and is a more hygienic option than a raised toilet seat. This product fits most round and elongated toilets that measure 14 or 15 inches and can add another 3.5 inches of height. With its stable, slip-free design, people don’t have to worry about the product slipping out of place and increasing fall risks while in use. This toilet riser platform is also adjustable and easy to remove and requires no special cleaning or maintenance.
- AliMed Toilevator Grande
Able to accommodate up to 500 pounds, this toilet base riser is especially beneficial for individuals with larger body types and elongated toilets. This toilet elevator base of toilet model is set on the floor at the toilet’s base to achieve the desired lifting effect. The discrete design of the model’s oval pan blends in well with a toilet and looks like a natural addition.
- The Wright Stuff Easy Toilet Riser
This toilet elevator can increase toilets another 4 inches from the base. The heavy-duty frame has a total weight capacity of 800 pounds. Everything that is needed to attach the platform is included in the installation kit.
- MedWay Easy Toilet Riser
The 4-inch lifting capability of this toilet pedestal can simplify the process of going to the bathroom for people with disabilities. It can accommodate up to 800 pounds and is another great heavy-duty option on the market. Two extra-long Johnny Bolts with nuts and washers, two wax rings and one water supply line are included with the installation kit to make putting in the new toilet riser base a hassle-free task.
- Thetford Toilet Riser for RV Trailers
Anyone who enjoys taking trips in the RV and wants to bring along a reliable toilet pedestal riser will likely be satisfied with this product. This model can raise a toilet another 2.5 inches and is built to fit several types of Aqua Magic toilets. Weighing just 3.44 pounds, this toilet riser platform won’t be strenuous to carry and install.
How to Choose A Toilet Riser Platform
When shopping for a new toilet base riser, the following factors should be considered so that the right choice is made:
- Shape – The shape of the toilet pedestal should coincide with the shape of the toilet’s base so that everything fits together correctly. Trying to force a toilet platform onto a toilet base that has a different shape could result in certain health and safety hazards and also create more difficulties for people with mobility challenges who want to stay comfortable while going to the restroom.
- Height – The ideal amount of height that the platform rises will depend on each individual’s personal health status and medical needs. Whether a person needs a toilet riser that raises the toilet just 2.5 inches or as much as four inches, the option that offers the easiest access and provides the greatest comfort should be chosen.
- Weight Capacity – How much weight a particular toilet pedestal riser can accommodate should also be taken into consideration when reviewing options. Most models have a weight capacity of up to 500 pounds, but some can accommodate up to 800 pounds. Purchasing a toilet riser platform that can accommodate the right amount of weight will also help to ensure greater comfort while sitting on the toilet.
- Installation Requirements – Some models require the use of personal home tools while others come in a set that includes a few simple components to make installation easier. Getting a platform that comes with an installation set is a good idea for people with mobility challenges that live alone or have limited help from others. It is best to buy a platform pan that is removable and won’t leave marks on the floor after it has been mounted.
- Color – Choosing a toilet elevator that is the same color as the toilet is most people’s personal preference and will make the new addition look far less noticeable by guests and other family members who use the bathroom. An installation that is a different color will still work just as well but could appear to be more obvious and out of place.
Ordering an elevated toilet platform will be a wise investment for anyone who deals with the effects of aging or a disability and wants to be able to use the toilet with less difficulty. There are many models on the market that include all the right features that make using the restroom easier to manage.