When you lose the ability to move around freely, whether due to age, disease or trauma, you can feel like a real chunk of your life was taken from you. Whether you are dealing with a physical disability or merely the side effects of age, you deserve to be able to move around as you wish. There are many mobility devices on the market that are designed to aid in your ability to freely move around in your day-to-day life and few are more beneficial than the folding mobility scooter.
A foldable scooter is a mechanical device that is typically powered by electricity. These scooters come in a range of different sizes and weight classes in order to accommodate riders of every demographic. These scooters can be used both indoors and outdoors and they go a long way toward giving back the freedom of movement that we all deserve to enjoy. With that being said, it can be difficult to select the perfect fold up scooter for your needs, so we put together a handy buying guide to aid in the process.
Foldable Mobility Scooter Buying Guide
Whether you want to ride around the grocery store or take a trip to the park, a mobility scooter can be one of the most advantageous purchases that you ever make, particularly if you are dealing with longterm limited mobility. However, even if your mobility is only limited due to a recent injury or trauma, a scooter can provide you with plenty of advantages. Before you purchase your first collapsible scooter, reference the following list in order to maximize your purchase.
1) Seat Options – First and foremost, take some time to discuss the different seat options that you have. Some seats will be designed for longterm riding comfort thanks to contoured material that helps your circulation. Other seats will have attached armrests which can keep you safe, balanced and comfortable for the duration of your ride. Also, consider the different upholstery options that are available to you. Do you want sleek leather? Or are you more interested in the durability and outdoor resistance that plastic can provide?
2) Maximum Carrying Capacity – No two people are made the exactly the same, so we have to take that into consideration. Traditionally, most lightweight folding mobility scooters will be limited to a weight limit of roughly 250 lbs. However, larger mobility scooters will allow upwards of 350 lbs.
3) Fully Electric System – Most foldable scooters are driven by an electric battery that needs to be recharged after every use. Some scooters take this system a step forward, thus allowing the scooter to fold and unfold via an electric-powered mechanism. Fully electric systems are incredibly convenient yet they can be costlier, so pay mind to that aspect.
4) Speed Allowance – While you aren’t going to be drag racing, you are still going to want a folding scooter that can keep you moving at a decent speed. Traditionally, the max speed of a folding scooter will sit around 5 MPH. All folding scooters will allow you to drive slower, if you’d rather.
5) 3 Vs 4 Wheels – Finally, you have to consider how many wheels you want your scooter to have. 4-wheeled mobility scooters are better for outdoor use while a 3-wheeled mobility scooter is advantageous for indoor use. 4 wheel options will provide you with more stability and traction while 3 wheel options will give you tight turning ability and increased mobility.
Folding Mobility Scooters Reviews
In order to assist you in your search for the top mobility scooter options on the market. We put together a list of the top foldable mobility scooter reviews currently available.
1) MiniRider Folding Compact Mobility Scooter
When it comes to getting around in comfort, the MiniRider Folding Mobility Scooter is just about as effective as they come. This scooter is usable for both outdoor and indoor operation thanks to a number of different features and safety design elements.
First and foremost, the MiniRider draws the eye with a 3-wheeled compact design that is amazing for indoor and outdoor usage. Thanks to the slim nose and the lack of a fourth wheel, riders are able to navigate tight passages with relative ease. The entire machine is no-frills in its approach to bulk as even the electric battery pack can be removed.
From the ground up, the MiniRider Folding Compact Scooter provides efficiency and effectiveness for both indoor and outdoor use. The scooter rocks puncture-proof tires that can handle the elements with relative ease. There is an automatic braking system, a turnkey ignition, and a pull throttle that is always within reach. Finally, the battery pack itself will allow for up to nine miles of travel on a single charge.
Weight Capacity – 253 lbs
Product Weight – 70 lbs
2) Pride Go-Go S19
Compact mobility scooters rule the day thanks to the Pride Go-Go S19. The S19 is a stylish mobility scooter that is great for the active individual who wants to maintain their high-quality and volume of movement. This is a 4-wheeled scooter that is compact enough to store for traveling and easy to foldaway for your trunk or closet when not in use. Simply unfold the scooter and hop on in order to enjoy your ride. This scooter will fold down to roughly the size of a small suitcase when put away.
With a sleek design and a boatload of features, it is easy to see why so many people are drifting toward the S19. A metallic and techy finish makes this machine look like it was pulled out of the future. The scooter can handle up to 13 miles on a single charge of its lithium battery. Top speed for this scooter is 4MPH and front and rear LED lights will allow you to get up to speed even when at night.
The entire Go-Go S19 is finished with refined black and gray vinyl in order to maximize your comfort while maintaining your style. This scooter is capable of handling both indoor and outdoor use.
Weight Capacity – 250 lbs
Product Weight – 80 lbs
3) Transformer Automatic Folding Travel Scooter
When you first lay eyes on the Transformer Automatic Folding Travel Scooter, you’ll likely be blown away by the electric blue color finish. This heavy-duty scooter is as effective as it is appealing to look at. With armrests, a raised chair and a durable four-wheeled design, riders who want to get moving may have found the perfect mobility assistance device.
This scooter has a remote control that will fold and unfold the entire unit within seconds. The Transformer Travel Scooter also sports a lightweight lithium battery that can get you almost 14 miles of travel per charge. What makes this battery even more impressive is that it has been approved by airport security for travel. When not in use, you can fold down this travel scooter to the size of a small suitcase.
This IS a larger mobility scooter but the upside to that is the fact that it can handle a heavier weight capacity. Additionally, the sturdy features and heavy-duty design provide for more long-term durability.
Weight Capacity – 300 lbs
Product Weight – 120 lbs
4) EV Rider Transport Foldable Mobility Scooters
This no-frills travel scooter places a priority on your movement without weighing you down by unnecessary features. The EV Rider is the ideal transport scooter for people who are always on the move. This is a lighter scooter that can fold down enough to be stored in just about any closet around. The contoured seat with backing will keep riders comfortable and their blood circulating even during longer rides.
What makes the EV Rider such a popular scooter is that it has a powerful 270 Watt motor that provides prolonged use. Per full charge, riders can get roughly 15 miles before needing to get their scooter plugged back in. The minimalist nature of the EV Rider ensures that our focus is going to always be on functionality over everything else. This transport scooter tops out at 4 MPH.
Weight Capacity – 250 lbs
Product Weight – 70 lbs
5) Heartway Passport Easy Move Mobility Scooter
If you want a lightweight scooter that can be easily folded away when not in use, you found the right model. The Heartway Passport is the ideal mobility scooter for people who want a movement assisting device that is loaded with features and ready for the road without being cumbersome.
The first thing you’ll notice about the Heartway Passport is that it has a slick red design with minimalist inspired grey seating and handles. The comfortable upholstery will keep your scooter in good shape even when used outdoors. The three-wheel design is ideal for indoor use while being capable outside of the home, as well.
This scooter is powered by an 8.7 AH lithium battery and the small battery keeps the entire model lightweight. In fact, this is the lightest quality scooter option on the market at just 44 lbs. There are LED headlights, a two-way throttle and even speed dial control for easy access.
Weight Capacity – 250 lbs
Product Weight – 44 lbs
6) Echo Folding Scooter Shoprider Travel Mobility
Rounding out our list is the Echo Folding Scooter which was developed by Shoprider. This is a no-frills, minimally featured travel scooter that gets you where you need to go with minimal fuss. This scooter features a sleek red design, comfortable upholstery, and lightweight construction.
This scooter weighs in at under 60 lbs and can hit speeds of up to 4 MPH. Per charge, riders are expected to get roughly 10 total miles of travel before having to return their scooter to a charging station. The folding and unfolding process of this scooter takes roughly 10 seconds.
Weight Capacity – 200 lbs
Product Weight – 59 lbs